Sunday, September 18, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

Ahhhh, Sunday.

I love doing long runs on Saturday, because that leaves the day after open for sleeping in and not having to do anything at all. Long runs on Sunday mean being sore all day and then having to go to work the next day...ugh. Saturday long runs rock!

That being said, Jenn and I were slated to do 18 miles yesterday, but ended up with only 15 instead, as Jenn was having hip issues, and then developed a nasty blister. The weather, however, was glorious - cool, overcast, even some rain - which wasn't a big deal to me at all. Running in the rain - very familiar with that!

Portland is now only three weeks away. So, this coming Saturday will be 18 miles (non-negotiable), the following weekend will be only 8-9, and then the weekend after is "M Day." I am toying with the idea of taking the Monday after marathon day off...I have a feeling I'm going to be pretty wrecked after this one. This training schedule Jenn and I have been following has been very thin and somewhat rushed - our weekday mileage over the past several weeks has been inadequate due to several factors, and quite frankly, I would feel much better with two or three more 18-20 milers under our belt. But - it is what it is.

I am still determined to beat last years time (7:11) - but the margin of which I suspect we'll be capable of achieving has changed considerably. At first, I would have been really happy to get in under 6 hours, but now, I'll settle for under 7. I don't know....maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. After all, this time I'm not dealing with a foot injury which dictated I couldn't run for nearly the entire month of September like last year - and in reality, it was still injured on marathon day - thank God for ibruprofen and compressive foot wrapping! But Jenn is dealing with some lingering issues, so we're just going to see how it's going to go.

In any case, I am excited about adding another full marathon medal and bib to my Wall O' Bling. And speaking of bling, I am also hoping that Portland decides to really beef their medals up a bit in commemoration of the 40th Anniversary, because the current design is a bit....lacking.

Everyone run happy this week!  :-)

1 comment:

The CilleyGirl said...

Think of it this way -- our legs will be really fresh for M day!

And if I can't for whatever reason finish 18 this weekend, you can always go on ahead without me :)